Tuesday 12 February 2013

Chocolate Guinness Cake = Yum!

Hey guys, second recipe of the day for you (I'm doing well today, It's my get things done and accomplished day!). So, I've heard people singing the praises of this cake but I was never too sure on the combination of chocolate and Guinness, I just thought that it can not possibly work, can it? Well let me tell you IT CAN!! This cake is my most favourite cake that I have EVER made, It is PERFECT!!! Sorry about all the capitals I'm just so excited and in love with it. I used the original Nigella Lawson recipe and didn't really change anything (for once ha!). Just imagine it, dark, chocolatey, moist and soft cake with a creamy vanilla cream cheese frosting, it's basically heaven right there :)! Here's a wee picture to wet your appetite for this recipe...

 
Nigella's Chocolate Guinness Cake!!!
  • 250 ml Guinness
  • 250 g unsalted butter
  • 75 g cocoa powder
  • 400 g caster sugar
  • 142 ml sour cream
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 275 Plain flour
  • 2.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the Frosting...
  • 300 cream cheese
  • 150 Icing sugar
  • 125 ml double cream (or whipping cream)

Method

Preheat the oven to 180°C, and butter and line a 23cm cake tin.

Pour the Guinness into a large saucepan, heat Guinness whilst melting in butter, when butter has  melted  whisk in the cocoa and sugar.

Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the pan and finally whisk in the flour and bicarb.

Pour the cake mix into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack.

When the cake's cold, sit it on a cake stand.  Lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve over the icing sugar and then beat them both together. Add the cream and beat again until it makes a spreadable consistency. Spread this on the cake and dust with chocolate curls. Eat and eat some more, so you don't have to share it...hehe!


And there you go, one gorgeous cake done and ready to devour. I seriously recommend trying this beast of cake and also checking out some more of Nigella's recipes, she is pretty talented in the kitchen and is one of my favourite tv chefs :). I hope you give this a go and let me know what you think of it :). Next up I will have a lovely Valentine's themed bake to share with you but shhhh!! I don't want my fiancé finding out. Until then, Happy baking and much love,

Rachael xx.
 
 

10 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of guiness so not sure I'd like this! But my brother LOVES so I may have to try and make this for him some time :p

    Christina x
    http://www.passionobsession.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i'm not a big fan of Guinness either but this changed my mind :). Hope your brother likes it!

      Delete
  2. hi dear! i just found your blog and i love it! yummy recipe! i was wondering ..would you be interested in following each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, I would definitely be interested in following each other, I will head on over and check out your blog now :)

      Delete
  3. Gosh, this looks just amazing! Save me a slice??!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks very good :)
    new follower
    follow back, if you like :) andy

    ReplyDelete