Wednesday 16 November 2016

What I Eat in a Day 3

Hello everyone and welcome back to another what I eat in a day post, I hope you are enjoying these as much as I am. I'm really enjoying trying to make my food look semi-decent before I scoff it, ha! I also feel like it may help me be a bit more mindful about the way I eat! I've tried all those mindfulness meditation things and they just don't work for me, my head is always so full of thoughts (mainly food) rushing around and colliding! But mindful eating is something I might be able to do, it's all about taking the time to appreciate your meal in the moment, enjoying it and then noticing when you are full and how it makes you feel. Hmm, we'll see, it seems like a pretty good concept. Anyway, back to my meals for the day. These meals were all very simple to prepare and took no time at all, so let's get cracking! Also, if you stay tuned to the end i'm going to share my very easy, throw everything in a wok,veggie stir fry recipe, so keep reading!

BREAKFAST

Porridge made with whole milk, topped with sliced banana, honey and cinnamon
.
Erm, so you see a recurring theme here. I get so stuck on one breakfast and never change until I am absolutely sick of it. Note to self, I must try something different for breakfast tomorrow. In my defence, porridge is like comfort food to me, it's so warm and cosy and perfect for these dark and cold mornings, yuck!

 LUNCH

 Home-made Olive and Rosemary wheaten bread topped with wilted spinach, guacamole, a fried egg and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil AND 3 miniscule oranges.

I had a bit more time this day for lunch so I thought I would make something different. I usually have leftovers from the night before, which is still very yummy but not very spur of the moment, seize the day ha! So, in a moment of spontaneity I came up with this and let me tell you it was delish! I just love avocados and they are perfect with my slightly toasted salty and sweet wheaten bread ( I may share my recipe for this at a later date if you are interested). Wheaten bread is a Northern Irish delicacy if your not familiar with it and not from the emerald isle, it's a national treasure which uses bicarbonate of soda as the rising agent.  My husband and I are trying to give up supermarket bread and bake our own, a big challenge. I've had a sourdough starter on the go for about a week now, it's like having a pet, a huge commitment I don't think I was a fully prepared for. We haven't actually used it to bake yet but I will let you know how that goes! Wheaten bread however, is so easy and tasty, 5mins prep and 45mins in the oven and you are done! I digressed quite dramatically here but I will try and document on the blog how our bread experiments work out.

DINNER

Vegetable Stir Fry and boiled basmati rice

This stir fry is so simple and quick to make, you can use any veg you have in the fridge. I just used whatever I had in the fridge but mushrooms, sugar snap peas, cabbage, spinach and pak choi are great in it too. This is my own made up recipe and is by no means traditional, it's just something I came up with, liked and used repeatedly. The recipe also doesn't have to be vegetarian, I have made it with prawns, duck, chicken and even some leftover roast goose at Christmas last year (a very extravagant mid-week meal). This dish is a great one for getting your 5 a day, you can get 3/4 portions of veg in this meal alone. It's great served with rice as I did last nice or with some noodles tossed through it. It's perfect for an easy, healthy and light mid-week meal. Go on, give it a try!

Easy Vegetable Stir Fry

Serves 4   30mins-ish

2 onions, finely sliced
2 carrots, peeled into ribbons
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 head of broccoli, broken into florets
2 red/orange/yellow peppers, cut into strips
thumb size piece of ginger, grated
1tsp chilli flakes
2tbsp sesame oil
2tbsp soy sauce
2tsp chines 5 spice
frozen peas, as much or as little as you like, I like loads!
2tbsp sesame seeds
2tbsp honey
basmati rice, boiled, to serve

1. Heat the sesame oil in a wok and add the onions. Fry on a medium heat until softened.
2. Add garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, soy sauce and Chinese 5 spice. Fry for another minute.
3. Add broccoli along with a little water and steam in wok for about 5-10mins, until slightly soft.
4. Add peppers and carrots and fry for another 5ish minutes, keep tossing everything so it gets coated in the lovely sauce.
5. Drizzle over the honey and mix.
6. Add the peas and turn the heat off. The residual heat in the wok will thaw the peas.
7. Serve with boiled rice topped with sesame seeds and drizzled with your chosen chilli sauce, or extra soy sauce.

So, there you have it, everything I ate yesterday! It was a particularly yummy and healthy day (not like me). Let me know if you try this recipe, or if you have any recommendations for stir fry recipes. What are your go to mid-week recipes? Thank you for taking the time to read my musings on food, I will be back soon with more foodie thoughts.

Rachael xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment