Wednesday 23 November 2016

What I Eat in a Day 4

Hi all and welcome back to another what I eat in a day post! I hope you are still enjoying these posts as much as me! This day was a bit of a comfort food day for me, it was freezing where I live so I thought I would eat some pretty cosy and comforting foods to help keep me nice and toasty! This day was also very good for me as it featured quite a lot of chocolate, always a winner in my book. So let's get cracking...

BREAKFAST

 Home-made Double chocolate and peanut butter granola with milk and sliced banana and a HUGE coffee!

I actually managed to have something different from porridge this week, yay go me! This granola keeps really well so i'm still eating from the batch I made last week. You can find the recipe for it here, so go ahead and give it a try, it really is delicious! I just served mine up with some cold whole milk and a sliced banana, yum yum and very simple and quick! I also washed this all down with a huge mug of coffee, I really am very grumpy in the morning until I get my coffee and then I become a much nicer person ( the real me, just caffeinated ha!). Is this anyone else too? Please tell me i'm not alone in this!

LUNCH

 Home-made Broccoli soup with a cheese toastie and satsumas 

We didn't have enough leftovers from the night before to have for lunch this day so first thing in the morning I went diving into my freezer to see what I could find. I love doing this, it's like a pot-luck, you're not really sure what anything is going to turn out as! But luckily I managed to find a tub of home-made broccoli soup which I made a couple of months ago. Yay, score! And what goes well with broccoli, cheese! So, naturally I had to  make a cheese toastie. This soup was lovely and light and paired perfectly with a cheese toastie dunked into it, perfect warming winter food. And of course I had to have some lovely satsumas or clementines, I can never tell which! I love that is the season for these again, they are one of my favourite fruits. And perfect for that winter hit of vitamin C.

AFTERNOON SNACK

 Some fruit and nut chocolate and a coffee

I was having a bit of a mid-afternoon slump and needed a hit of chocolate and coffee. I believe it is one of life's simplest pleasures to be able to sit down with a hot cup of coffee and some chocolate. I even like to dunk my chocolate in my hot coffee until it melts a little, is that weird? Five minutes of bliss and a hit of sugar and i'm ready to get up and go again. Oh and I always make my afternoon coffee really milky and pretty weak as I need my beauty sleep and go to bed pretty early, I don't want anything to mess with that!

DINNER

Sausage and beer casserole with some garlic sautéed peas and cabbage

This recipe came from A Girl Called Jack by Jack Monroe and it is one of my favourites in the book. It's such a winter warmer and tastes delicious, especially with great quality sausages from our butcher. The casserole contains onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans and sausages and is a whopping 4 of your 5 a day. I was also fancying something green with it and had loads of cabbage in the fridge so I just sautéed some cabbage in a non-stick pan with garlic and a little butter. Then I added in some frozen peas ( I love peas, did I mention this? if in doubt, add peas, that's my motto).  This is a really great side to rustle up quickly and easily and will add instant healthiness to your meal. It's great with a roast dinner or any sort of pie or tart! I love cabbage and it is so good for you. Cabbage is really high in vitamin C which is perfect for this time of year. This dish is so yummy, easy to prepare and pretty healthy too.

And there you go, that's what I eat in day. I also had a big mug of peppermint tea in the evening whilst watching Lost. I didn't take a picture of that, but you've probably seen a mug of tea before, they all look the same! Also, can we just talk about Lost. Ahhh I love it, it just became available on demand on virgin media and i'm so excited. I'm up to the very end of season 1 and i'm completely hooked. I briefly got into it a while back but then couldn't find it anywhere ( I didn't want to buy a 6 season box set) but i'm so happy I can now watch it for free. Do you like Lost? I know i'm really late to the party, are there any other TV shows you would recommend like this?

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts on life and food,

Rachael xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment