Friday 3 February 2017

How to Meal Plan

Hi all, Happy Friday! We've nearly made it to the weekend, well done!
Today on my wee blog I'm going to share with you how I do my weekly meal plan. This is something I'm sure many people have their own ways of doing things, this is just the way I do my meal plan. I really love meal planning, as you can probably tell from my blog. I find that it helps keep me organised, budget my weekly grocery bill, eliminate any food waste and keep eating reasonably healthy (well mainly stay away from the take-aways!). So here we go...


 1. I find it really helpful throughout the week to add anything I run out of to the shopping list. This is great as it means you never think you have something for a recipe and then find out you used it up the week before.

2. Add any groceries that you normally buy every week, the essentials like cheese, eggs, butter etc.


 3. Pick recipes for the week writing down page numbers, servings and preparation time. Add all the ingredients to your shopping list but always check your cupboards/fridge/freezer to save you having to buy double of anything.  When making my meal plan I always bear in mind that I may need a few dishes that keep in the freezer/storecupboard to allow for a little flexibility throughout the week.


4. Use your shopping list to do your shopping online/instore, whichever is easiest for you. I like doing my shopping online as it stops me buying anything extra that I don't really need.

5. I always find that putting my meat in the freezer as soon as I get it is great for making my meal planning more effective. I just lift it out of the freezer to thaw as and when I need it. This means your meat wont go out of date even if you leave that particular meal to the next week, therefore eliminating any waste or out of date food. You just can't refreeze any leftovers.

And there you have it, that's how I plan all my weekly food. I hope you found this helpful, if you have any tips on how you meal plan please do feel free to share in the comments. I would love to hear more tips. Thank you so much for reading,

Rachael xx.

2 comments:

  1. I think having a food plan is a good health care. Keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you've read plenty of other guides that proclaim to offer the 'top 10 tips' for something or other, that, in the end, turn out to be lists of highly generalised, unhelpful statements about things that you already knew i.e. "Remember to set a budget, and stick to it. small step trash can

    ReplyDelete