Wednesday 1 March 2017

What I Eat in a Day 17

Hi all and hello March! I think March is one of my favourite months. It heralds the start of spring, warmer and longer days and the flowers start making an appearance. March also means that Easter is coming soon which is every chocolate lovers favourite holiday! I'm back today with another what I eat in a day post and yesterday was quite a special day as it was Shrove Tuesday/ PANCAKE DAY!! Of course that meant PANCAKES for breakfast and a little more chocolate than usual, YES!! Here's what I ate yesterday...

BREAKFAST

 Pancakes with a Nutella drizzle topped with flaked almonds.

I swear by the Jamie Oliver fluffy American pancake recipe. I find it so easy, it makes the perfect amount of pancakes and it literally NEVER fails. You can find the recipe here. If you are a frequent pancake maker or you just find them really difficult then definitely try this recipe, you will keep going back to it time and time again (like me every Sunday!). No pancake breakfast is complete without Nutella in my book so I had a rather generous drizzle and topped the pancake stack off with some crunchy flaked almonds. A rather yummy and decadent breakfast for a Tuesday morning, if I do say so myself.

LUNCH

 Roasted Carrot and Squash Pearl Barley Salad and four clementines.

Lunch was leftovers from dinner the night before, what a surprise! This is a such a lovely light and nutritious lunch. The salad has roasted carrot, squash, onion and garlic mixed through some pearl barley with peas and blue cheese crumbled over the top (so yummy!). The recipe is from an old edition of Good Food and can be found on their website here. I adjusted the recipe slightly by adding in some leftover roast squash and some peas (I add peas to everything!). Give this a go if you are looking for a salad that's a bit more filling and a little bit fancy!

AFTERNOON SNACK

 Two Home-made double chocolate almond biscotti and a coffee.

I have to say I could have been Italian very easily. I love the combination of a good biscotti and a cup of coffee and don't get me started on biscotti and dessert wine (SO YUMMY!). At the weekend I rustled up a batch of this double chocolate and almond biscotti to have for dunking into cups of coffee. Let me tell you it did not disappoint. What can be better than having a really crunchy chocolate biccy to dunk in your cuppa. I used a recipe from BBC Good Food again for these but I adjusted the recipe again quite a bit. You can find the original recipe here. I adjusted it by adding in a dash of vanilla extract, 25g cocoa powder, almonds instead of hazelnuts and white chocolate chunks. I then drizzled my biscotti pieces with dark chocolate and flaked almonds. The perfect afternoon pick me up!

DINNER

Red Pepper and Spinach Hash topped with feta and fried eggs.

After a day of a little more indulgence than usual I was looking forward to a nutritious dinner. This dish was so easy to prepare and has some of my favourite ingredients, red pepper, potatoes, spinach, garlic, lemon and cannellini beans. The recipe is from the March edition of Tesco's food magazine, which is free in your local Tesco store. I love the combination of flavours and the fact it's topped off with a fried egg. What could be better on a cold and wet February evening.

And there you have it, everything I ate yesterday! I hope you are having a wonderful week and hump day blues haven't got you down. I will be back on Friday with a post all about how to update your dining table for spring, so keep your eyes peeled for that! Thanks so much for reading,

Rachael xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment